Saturday 19 February 2011

LEEDS GUIDE Review (Feb 2011)

LINK TO ARTICLE

Lauren Wright gives her verdict on the much talked about display of pop memorabilia

As a huge fan of the Spice Girls when I was growing up, I thought a Spice Girl exhibition would be a dream come true – and it didn’t disappoint.

It was a trip down memory lane full of the merchandise I had owned myself and even more of the merchandise I had wanted. Being only seven when the Spice Girls first came on the scene I hadn’t actually realised that it was only a couple of years from their first number one single to when Geri left the band. They accomplished so much in such a short space of time!

The exhibition is full of memorabilia, magazine covers, special edition CDs, clothes and shoes worn by the girls as well as the platinum awards they won. Various Spice Girl classics are being played throughout the exhibition and the Spice World film is also being shown – I was very tempted to sit down and watch it but had to restrain myself (I will definitely look for it on DVD though). The assortment of items is impressive to say the least; it is shocking to think that this is all one person’s collection.

As well as having all this on display the exhibition has a number of activities, so it’s good for keeping children of all ages entertained. There is a ‘VIP Manager’s Pass’ to pick up as you walk into the exhibition which can be filled in along the way, which is a step-by-step manager trail to see how the Spice Girls became global stars and to learn how to create a successful band – it’s a fun activity for children and makes the whole exhibition interactive.

There is also a section to accessorise your own pop star for an interview by colouring in a printed face and since all the sheets had been used by the time I got there (which I was very disappointed about!) this is obviously a popular activity. There is also a dressing up section with wigs, outfits and accessories, which is not just for the girls, as there was a little boy dressing up as Geri Halliwell in a ginger wig and finding it hilarious. And to top it off you could participate in ‘score the star’, which gives you the chance to sing along to the Spice Girls classics and be scored on a scale of one to 10.

This exhibition definitely took me back to my childhood and for the time I was there I was just as willing to participate in all the activities available as the children were (I make a great Geri Halliwell!). I would definitely recommend it to anyone who was (or still is) a Spice Girls fan and any parents with children who want something different to do on a Sunday afternoon – and after all, it is free!

No comments:

Post a Comment